Tuesday, September 7, 2010

News media and the Internet society.

In this module 'News media and the Internet society', both the readings as well as the lectures are very interesting in learning about the development of things, such as the oral and visual literacy. During the course of my lectures I also had the opportunity to learn about interesting people who have left their mark in history, one of these people were Willem Bosvhoff. Willem was born in South Africa, in the year 1951 and has been interested in the technologizing world. I've also learnt many interesting facts, such as the fact that the printing press was invented in the year 1440. I have also learnt about Steve Biko and the alternative press, which is anything that is not the voice of the state. I have also learnt about the Independant Protest Press and the Early resistance press. We have also had two very interesting guest speakers, one of the guest speakers spoke about News under Repression, and this had been a very exciting thing to learn about. These are just some of the many things that have been a highlight for me during lectures.

We have also covered a number of readings that we do on our own in preparation for a weekly quiz. My favourite reading thus far has been one entitled 'The coming of the Book', this basically goes into the history of the development of paper. I found this very interesting because I was able to learn facts about paper that I never previously knew. Like the fact that in old times paper had actually been made from old rags, I would have never thought that this was a reality. It was only in the year 1860 that straw had actually become a substitute for the use of rags in the manufacturing of newspapers.

I have also covered more interesting readings by authors such as Deborah Posel, Fred Khumalo and Justice Malala that deal with issues that can be more related to contemporary issues such as crime, HIV/AIDS and foreigners. This basically sums up all the aspects that I have enjoyed in this module thus far, I am looking forward to the content of my future lectures as well as my future readings as well as my final project which will be to make a film. I am so excited about this.


No comments:

Post a Comment